Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Hell's Gate Airtram

This year in 2014, I had been working at Hell's Gate Airtram and I absolutely loved my job. I was a tram operator, so I worked on the tram/gondola/cable car giving tours, telling people about our attraction (a super mini-Disneyland, in my opinion), the famous salmon runs, and the history of the gold country area. Other times I was working out front, greeting people and telling them all about what we do before they get tickets and head down on to the other side. I met lots of great people from all over the world with many fascinating stories. I loved talking to them all, hearing about how much they love British Columbia and have enjoyed their trips here. Other times I get to tell them about all the great things to do and see in the area and all the cool stuff in Vancouver. We are pet friendly, too, so lots of people bring their dogs, and naturally I absolutely love giving out dog treats!
Now the tram ride down takes five minutes; on your way down we give you the tour, and when you get to the lower terminal you can stay as long as you like. There is an amazing fudge factory with over 30 flavors of fudge -- and the options change all the time! There's also lots of delicious ice cream, candy and other goodies available as well. I spend some time eyeing up the ice cream... and most of the time eating it. There is also the fisheries exhibit which is a museum with lots of really interesting historical information; I'm not a fan of museums but I do really think this one is great. There's a little movie theater inside, too, with a few videos on the salmon and the history of the area.
Simon's cafe is our restaurant that I do frequent - I can't decide which item on the menu is my favorite but I've got three top choices: the salmon burger, the Caesar salad with smoked salmon, and the poutine with crispy chicken. Just thinking about these things -- especially the smoked salmon -- has my mouth really watering.
Lastly we boast many unique gift and souvenir items at the Gold Panner gift shop, where you can buy a wide variety of useful and interesting items or anything with a Hell's Gate logo on it. I'll be honest and admit that this is another place I spend lots of time and money. I've bought all sorts of things there, like sunglasses, all natural body wash, and candles.
There was honestly not one part of my job that I didn't like; it was always a good time, always stress-free, and there were always interesting people coming to visit. I'm glad I get to share this experience with you and I hope I get the opportunity to share it with students in my former college program.

Take the tram down -- they come every 5-10 minutes!
Simon Fraser - the famous explorer who journeyed this region
A foggy morning before work.

With fellow tram operator Jessica standing in front of 'our office.'
2014 Tram Operators
Heading up from the Lower Terminal
The mighty Fraser River at Hell's Gate -- the narrowest and deepest point on the Fraser River.


 Bonne nuit

No comments:

Post a Comment