Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Our house -- in the middle of NOWHERE.

My favorite thing about living in BC was where we lived, in a little house on the side of the highway, surrounded by trees, mountains and nature. No neighbors. Just a little cafe next to us known as Elvis Rocks The Canyon, which unfortunately closed down. This place was a popular spot for truckers, locals and tourists, but oddly enough it seemed that it was most popular for motorcycle enthusiast clubs, if you catch my drift.


See? In the middle of nowhere, 40 minutes to the nearest town

The 7 roommates I had lived in 2 houses with our landlords/managers living in another little house behind us. The old highway runs through the back yard, but looks only like a part of our driveway. It isn't paved, just a dirt trail. If you walk to the end, you'll come to our bonfire pit, fancy outhouse, and a spectacular view of the canyon. If you're there at the right time, you can see rafters going down the river. Much time has been spent this summer around our yard, sitting in the bushes, camping on the lawn, having bonfires (when there was no fire ban.)
There were many nearby local treasures, too. I used to love walking through the 'mossy path' -- a lush, green trail that goes through the woods, covered in moss. I loved to take off my shoes and walk in the moss in my bare feet; it was like better than shag carpet. The old highway tunnel is hidden in the woods, up a little hill and down a lush path. You wouldn't know it was there if you were just driving by; it's a word-of-mouth sight only from the people who have previously been there.
I had spent much time at the waterfall, too. It would take about 5 minutes to walk there, and it was a real delight to visit it in the summer, as the temperatures dropped drastically as you got closer to the falls. The water was very cold, which was great for those days that were over 100 F, but even the coolness just radiating from the water was enough to be comfortable.

The path leading to the old tunnel -- the dirt trail would have been the highway
One of the nearby waterfalls

The "Hollywood Bowl" under the highway near Hell's Gate 
Standing on the edge of our back yard
A helicopter landed in our yard!

Jessica and I were the first two to arrive, so we got the first choice in rooms. I chose the single room with the door that went outside, and I'm sure glad I did. I had full, private access to the patio, which meant that I could come and go as I pleased without having to see or speak to anyone else. My roommates were mean girls; there were only two that I liked, the rest were backstabbing evil bitches.
My room also had the only window that opened, which was great for when I either forgot my keys at work (it happened once or twice) or when those evil bitches locked me out.
I took full advantage of my private door. I loved to go out in the middle of the night, when it's dark and quiet, and you can hear the crickets chirping and see all the stars. One of my favorite things, actually, was to go outside naked. Yes, we lived on the side of the highway, but it wasn't a very busy one, especially at night. And you can hear the cars and trucks coming from miles away -- literally -- so you have lots of time to get back in the house.
It felt like such freedom to be out there on a comfortable night, with no clothes, feeling the breeze all around you. Sometimes it would be raining, light and cool. It was a magnificent heaven that most people don't get to experience, and you probably think I'm crazy for doing so, but until you've experienced that bliss, you have no idea what you're missing out on.



I miss my home. I want to go back, but I want to move on. I want others to have my experiences at Hell's Gate but I also want to make many more memories there myself. I'm torn as to whether or not I would like to return. British Columbia is an incredible place and whatever happens I'm sure I will return again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment